Hello to all EMS Directors, Managers and Administrators,
EMS leaders throughout South Dakota have taken a historic move to form an Ambulance Service Association. This newly found organization is an effort to aid EMS agencies in best business practices, leadership development, financial reporting, insurance reimbursement options, political representation and enhancing medical direction.
The purpose of the SDAA is:
To provide an organized and unified voice for ambulance services to intermediaries, legislators, and regulatory bodies.
- To develop and promote a code of ethics for ambulance services throughout South Dakota.
- To provide for the exchange of appropriate information with those interested in ambulance services and pre-hospital medical care.
- To promote understanding, cooperation and communication among ambulance services.
- To develop and promote high standards of patient care and assurance of quality in pre-hospital care.
- To initiate, sponsor, and promote educational programs, cost saving projects and research in the ambulance industry.
- To assemble and disseminate information about ambulance services, issues and needs to ambulance services, appropriate bodies and individuals.
- To establish cooperative liaison activities with other associations and governmental agencies interested in the improvement of emergency medical care for the benefit of ambulance providers.
- To promote health care and safety in the state of South Dakota.
Through several meetings held around the state we have formed the SD Ambulance Association and have elected leadership to ‘get the ball rolling.’ The organizational structure is on page two of this letter. To highlight the core elements, we have an Executive Committee with President, Senior Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. To aid the communications and regional representation, we also have seven District Vice Presidents (assigned based on the SD EMS Assn 7 districts) who will be the outreach and local point of contact for voting and input as to issues faced in your area.
There are four proposed committees that can be changed and organized as the Association develops. These committees are; Finance, Political Affairs, Education and Medical Direction. If you are interested in participating in one or more of these groups please feel free to contact your District Vice President. There are many issues plaguing EMS agencies nationally and throughout our state that can be addressed and hopefully fixed through targeted discussions within these committees.
As we develop the By-laws and Articles of Incorporation which can be accessed on the web at https://sdaa.wildapricot.org. We realize that it will be very difficult to get all Directors/Managers to a given meeting, when issues requiring a vote are present you will receive a proxy ballot by email requiring you to fill it out and give it to your District VP. They will in turn present your vote at the meeting (if you are unable to attend). This is a way for everyone’s voice to be heard. All eligible members will have one vote per agency.
Your membership is the BEST way to present a united voice for change. EMS in South Dakota is being looked at very closely right now to see where changes need to be made from the laws to the governing agencies that work with us. If you have any questions please feel free to call or email any one of the Executive Committee.
Brian Hambek, President
SD Ambulance Assn.